Welcome to what will become my written progress through a post-graduate year at the University of Sheffield! Having finally decided on what I want to be when I grow up, I had to figure out how I could obtain the proper skillsets that were required. As my luck would have it, universities state side were turning me down because my undergradutate, being business, was completely different from my masters goal. I needed more credits, more money and more time.
Fortune finally smiled on me in the form of a random internet search that brought me to international universities. One stood out in particular and that is where I currently find myself! The University of Sheffield is a great school (voted best overall in 2011) and they support all students seeking to further their education. After many months of data mining, submissions and validations, I am finally here and ready to embark on a year long adventure in Early Modern History. Sounds so exciting I'm sure.
I have several important objectives that I set for myself at the start of this adventure. Hopefully all will be met by success at the end:
1) Earn a Masters of Arts in History (well duh)
2) Network with the staff and faculty to help set up future opportunities in who knows what
3) Travel throughout England to see as much wonderful Tudor and medieval stuff as I can
4) Travel to continental Europe for more fun and excitement (hello German Christmas markets)
5) Become more extroverted and get out of my comfort zone by doing all sorts of non-Mike like shenanigans
6) Make lots of great friends from all nationalities, races, creed, gender, etc. We're all together on this journey afterall
7) Continue this blog all the way through the year, hopefully giving my future students something to read and laugh about...hysterically
The idea is to have regular updates...maybe 4-5 per week. I will supplement these with pictures or videos as best I can; a picture is worth a thousand words (which is good because I don't want to write too much).
So please follow along and make sure to leave comments because talking to oneself is the first sign of insanity and I really don't want to worry about that at the moment.