Saturday 29 September 2012

On Personal Mottos

My time here in Sheffield is part of a much larger journey. In fact, you can say its a means to an end as my primary objective centers on becoming a high school history teacher. I am already fighting an uphill battle because:
a) I do not have an undergraduate in education or history
b) I am entering a very saturated field with many people who have higher qualifications
c) Education is suffering under tight budget cuts

So why the pursuit? First and foremost, I feel that I can make a difference in young student's lives. I firmly believe that with proper respect and correct use of a "hands-on" teaching style, I can get kids excited about history. Secondly, I realized that I had to change my own life in order for me to be succesful and happy. The underline to all of this is my personal motto which I have held for the better part of 13 years: "Do what must be done, achieve what must be won".

I first heard these words in a military recruitment ad from the mid to late 90s and they have been with me ever since. I must admit there was a time when I had to deal with my own personal issues and the words rang hollow but I am once again convinced of their power. They continue to motivate me to run the extra mile, to succeed at work and studies and to become a better person.

So every time I leave my room, I am reminded to put forward my best effort. By this point next year, we shall see if hard work and perserverance paid off. I am ready for the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment